What is a Green Amendment & Why Do We Need Them?
Green Amendments are self-executing provisions added to the bill of rights section of a constitution that recognize and protect the rights of all people, including future generations, to pure water, clean air, a stable climate, and a healthy environment. Read more about why Green Amendments are important:
Held v. Montana, Climate Justice & Securing Climate Justice
The Held v. Montana case set a huge precedent, affirming Montanan’s constitutional right to a clean and healthful environment. For the first time ever, it declared that their fundamental right includes the right to a safe and stable climate. What other states have constitutional Green Amendments or are seeking to achieve them? Are there other victories based on Green Amendments that protect our environment and environmental rights? Join leading environmental minds on how Held v. Montana and Green Amendments intersect to provide unparalleled protections for present and future generations.
- You can view a video of the forum at this link.
An Emmy Nominated Show
Here’s The Story, an Emmy nominated show that premiered in 2011 and is produced by acclaimed journalist Steve Rogers, is now featuring a multi-part series featuring the Green Amendment movement. The show joins Maya as she explores the history of the Green Amendment movement and meets with environmental, political and legal leaders key to the movements past, present and future. Among those interviewed is NJ Governor Phil Murphy, PA Senator Franklin Kury who originally conceived of the idea for PA, and the chief justice who wrote the iconic opinion that helped launch the movement.
You can watch the show, see Facebook live chats with some of the key players, and see the full interviews that were conducted as part of the show here: Here’s the Story: The Green Amendment
The Book That Started a Movement
The Green Amendment: The People’s Fight For A Clean, Safe & Healthy Environment, written by Green Amendments For the Generations Founder Maya van Rossum, lays out an inspiring new agenda for environmental advocacy, one that will finally empower people, level the playing field, and provide real hope for communities everywhere. The Green Amendment 1st edition was selected as a Living Now Evergreen Awards GOLD Winner in the Nature Conservation category. The book also received an honorable mention Foreword Indies Book of the Year awards in the category ecology and environment. The book is now in its second edition with new stories, inspiration and guidance on how to become a leader in the Green Amendment movement.
A Letter from Maya K. van Rossum: Racial Justice Demands Constitutional “Green Amendments”
Support Green Amendments For the Generations!
Your donation today will help us do the work, provide the expertise, inspire supporters and take on the challengers so that every person and community nationwide can have a true RIGHT, that is enforceable, to a clean, safe & healthy environment.
Learn More Below
Factsheets & Materials
- The Green Amendment, The People's Fight For a Clean, Safe & Healthy Environment —The Book
- What is a Green Amendment Fact Sheet
- Demanding and Defending Your Rights to Clean Air, Clean Water, & a Healthy Environment
- How Green Amendments Protect Key Environmental Rights -- Expert Analysis by Founder M.K. van Rossum for Law360 (published in Law360)
- Constitutional Green Amendments: Making Environmental Justice a Reality, (published in American Bar Association Natural Resources & Environment Journal)
- Green Amendments Will Empower Environmental Protection (published in Bloomberg Law article)
- GREEN AMENDMENT Model Language, Criteria & Step-by-Step Guide
- The Intersection of Green Amendments & Rights of Nature (published by FastCompany)
- Green Amendment as Compared to Rights of Nature, Green New Deal & Youth Climate Litigation -- Different Concepts With Different Benefits
- How To Implement & Apply a Green Amendment
- Protections Offered with Trust Language in a Green Amendment
- Green Amendments: Giving Constitutional Power to Environmental Justice, Fact Sheet
- Environmental Law Institute (ELI) Dialogue: Green Amendments; Vehicles for Environmental Justice, Panel Discussion Fall 2021
- Using Green Amendments to Strengthen Environmental Justice
- Benefits of a Constitutional Provision Protecting Environmental Rights
- Green Amendment Frequently Asked Questions & Their Answers
- Green Amendments, Properly Placed and Written, Are A Restraint On Governmental Authority - Article By Team of Attorneys that Successfully Argued PA Case
- General Community Green Amendment Information Sheet
- Misconceptions & Application of Green Amendments, by Todd Ommen, Professor at Pace Environmental Litigation Clinic, printed in ABA magazine
- THE GREEN AMENDMENT: An Idea Whose Time It Has Always Been, by Gerald J. Williams, Esq.
- Constitutional Environmental Rights Worldwide, A Research Paper
- While many states pursue Green Amendments via the legislative path, there are some that have the opportunity to use Citizens Initiatives, that's how Florida is doing it. To learn if the Citizens Initiative path is an opportunity in your state check out this great resources compiled in 2023 by Wendi Lederman for Green Grassroots Election Protection Coalition: States With Citizen Initiatives 2023
Webinars & Video Content
- The Green Amendment Films Series
- Legislative Briefing: 50th Anniversary of PA's Green Amendment
- The Impact of Pennsylvania Green Amendments on Decisionmaking in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania's Environmental Rights Amendment in Practice
- Here’s the Story: Rivers — PBS/NJTV
- State Legislators On the Importance of Green Amendments, NCEL video
- NYWEA: A NY Constitutional Amendment
- A New York Green Amendment Webinar Series
- A Maine Green Amendment with Maine Climate Action Now
- For an overview of the value of the Green Amendment approach - watch CT NOFA address
- More video content available on Youtube
- Watch & Listen: press, podcast, & media content
Good Models To Help Guide Your Green Amendment Effort
- GREEN AMENDMENT Model Language, Criteria & Step-by-Step Guide
- Model Resolution Supporting Green Amendment to the NJ State Constitution
- Model Resolution Supporting Green Amendment to the NY State Constitution
- Sample Letter of Support for a NY Green Amendment
- New Jersey Green Amendment Petition
- Response to Business Opposition to a Green Amendment for New York 4.23.18
Legal Success Demonstrating Green Amendment Protections
Se puede explorar nuestras materiales aqui
- Que es un Enmienda Verde?
- Exigiendo y defendiendo tu derecho a agua limpia, aire limpio, y un ambiente saludable
- Enmienda Verde lista de control
- Protecciones ofrecidas incorporando el lenguaje de un fideicomiso en la Enmienda Verde de un Estado
- Haciendo que la justicia ambiental sea una obligación real del gobierno
- The Constitutional Question to Save the Planet: The Peoples’ Right to a Healthy Environment By Franklin Kury. Buy it at your local bookstore or order on Amazon.
- Advocating for the Environment" How to Gather Your Power and Take Action By Susan B. Inches. Buy at your local bookstore or order here or on Amazon.
Resources for Teachers/Educators
- Green Amendment Teacher Guide (Print | Screen) using first edition of book
- Student Guide and more
- Article: How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate Change — & Why You Have To